Our School History
St Thomas Leesfield CE primary School was built in a perpendicular style to match the church. School Inspectors had recommended that there be separate Infant and Junior Schools and so a new building was opened across the road, on West Street, in 1903 to house the Infant children. The Junior School became obsolete and a new school our present building was erected on the same site in 1929.
St Thomas' School 1861
In the early 1980s, as a result of falling birth rates, it was decided to merge the Infants and Juniors into one school using the larger main building The Infant School closed in July 1985 and the building became the Lees Community Centre. However, as numbers began to rise again, efforts were made for the school to regain control of the Community Centre and, after two years of negotiations, the Department of Education finally gave the go ahead in September 1994.
St Thomas' Main Building Present Day
St Thomas’ Leesfield has always been and continues to be, very much at the heart of its community, proudly serving the residents of Lees over many generations. We have strong links with our Church. Our buildings provide a weekly meeting place for Sunday School, the uniformed organisations and Mothers’ Union throughout the week.